Recycling Bin Collections

Recycling is collected mixed via your recycling bin. The only separating you will need to do is placing paper in your paper box.

The recycling bin is for:

  • Glass bottles and jars
  • tins and cans
  • cardboard
  • clean foil
  • cartons (used for juices, milks and soups)
  • plastics* - rigid plastic food containers and bottles only

*Please note that you shouldn't put soft plastic in your recycling bin, this should be placed in your refuse bin.*

Some examples of soft plastic include:

  • all plastic carrier bags from supermarkets and shops
  • black bags and plastic liners
  • food bags e.g. cereal packets, vegetable/fruit/bread bags etc
  • film plastic packaging on food punnets and meat trays
  • cling film/shrink wrap
  • film wrap on magazines, postal packaging etc

East Herts Council provides each household in the district with one recycling bin.

Please Note: We do not accept additional bags or boxes of recycling alongside of your recycling bin, this includes large cardboard (which should be contained within the recycling bin).  For further information, please see our Guide to Bins, Boxes and Collections page

Paper Recycling

Residents have the option of using either an inner paper box for separated paper which sits inside the recycling bin or kerbside box for paper. (Please use a lid to keep papers dry).

You can place additional paper out for collection in a kerbside box if you need to.

If you would like an inner box for your recycling bin please complete our New or Replacement Bin form.


If your recycling bin contains items which are not acceptable it will NOT be emptied as this is considered contamination. You must remove the contamination and the crew will collect it on your next scheduled collection date. We will not return for contaminated bins.