Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site


How to apply for affordable housing and housing advice, information for people in private sector housing including housing grants and housing association contact numbers.

Apply for Housing

Affordable rented housing is housing for households that cannot afford to buy or rent in the private market.

Risk of Homelessness or Homeless

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, please contact the Housing Options Service us as soon as possible.

Duty to Refer

Information on how the Duty to Refer works

Housing Advice

Our Housing Options team can offer advice on a range of housing issues.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit helps people pay their rent. Anyone who has to pay rent for their home can claim. It does not matter whether your landlord is a housing association or a private individual or company.

Housing Association Contact Numbers

East Herts does not directly manage any housing stocks and hasn't since 2002. That job now sits with various housing associations across the District. The following page contains contact numbers for Housing Associations in East Herts.

Information on Social Tenancies & Rents

The Government has made some changes to social housing to ensure that the support which social housing provides is focused on those who need it most for as long as they need it. The main changes are to rent levels and the length of the tenancy offered.

Rent Deposit Scheme

Our Rent Deposit Scheme is a discretionary one to prevent homelessness for residents who are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 28 days.

Supported Housing

Supported housing is accommodation for people who require additional support to either learn the skills to live independently or require long-term support.


If you are a tenant of social housing and living in a home that is bigger than you need, you may want to consider downsizing.

Community Alarm Service

A community alarm will be a particular benefit to older residents or those with disabilities. For many the telephone is their only means of contact with friends, relatives or neighbours.

Housing Development

We commission registered social landlords to provide new affordable housing, both rent and shared ownership, to meet the needs identified in the district. These include general needs and supported housing needs.

Strategic Housing Service

The council has a duty to consider the housing needs of all the residents of the district and to produce and deliver strategic housing plans that set out the plans for tackling these needs.

Local Lettings Policies

These are also known as planning obligations, and are agreements made under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.