Housing Advice

The council's Housing Options Team provide free information, assistance and specialist advice to help keep you in your home or to help you find an alternative place to live. We can also offer you advice on landlord and tenant issues.

When should I contact the Council for housing advice?

You should seek housing advice as soon as you have an issue that threatens your ability to remain in your accommodation in the long term. Always get housing advice before you leave a tenancy if you haven't got suitable long-term accommodation to move to.

If you think that you are at risk of becoming  homelessness or threatened with homelessness within 56 days, or you are already homeless additional advice can be found on our Homelessness or threatened with homelessness page.

What type of housing issues can I get advice on?

A Housing Options Officer will assist you with a wide range of housing issues including, (but not limited to):

  • advice and assistance on rent or mortgage arrears
  • finding accommodation in the private rented sector
  • referrals to providers of hostel accommodation
  • applying for social housing through the council's housing register
  • low cost home ownership
  • notice from you landlord
  • parental exclusion
  • fleeing domestic abuse
  • preventing homelessness

What sort of help can the Council offer?

A Housing Options Officer will discuss the circumstances that have resulted in your housing issues and look at the options for resolving them. This may involve:

  • helping you to negotiate an arrangement with your landlord for repaying rent arrears
  • making sure that you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to
  • arranging for an interest free loan to enable to you take up a tenancy in the private rented sector
  • making a referral to hostel or supported accommodation providers
  • checking that the notice to quit from your landlord is legal;
  • advising you on your housing rights and responsibilities
  • sign-posting or referring you to other agencies for help and/or support

How do I get housing advice?

The Council have both 'drop-in' sessions and offer booked appointments at our offices in Hertford and Bishops Stortford.

To attend a 'drop-in' visit either one our two offices

Please call 01279 655261 and ask for Housing Options between 9 am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, to discuss your circumstances and book the next suitable appointment.

Independent advice and debt agencies

If you are facing financial difficulties there are many local, regional and national organisations that offer free and independent advice. We also have a list of independent advice and debt agencies.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Rate as Good Rate as Average Rate as Poor