If you are a tenant of social housing and living in a home that is bigger than you need, you may want to consider downsizing.

Advantages to Downsizing

  • Lower household running costs
  • Reduce time spent on housework and gardening
  • Change location
  • Find a property more suitable for your needs
  • Remove the need to pay the Bedroom Tax
  • Move to a sheltered environment

Sheltered housing

If you are over the age of 55 you may want to consider sheltered accommodation. There are sheltered schemes all over the District. Sheltered schemes offer an opportunity to live independently in self-contained accommodation with the security of having support available if and when needed. Schemes have on-site facilities such as laundry and communal spaces for those who want to use them. More information is available on our Sheltered Housing page.

Flexi care

Flexi care housing offers people who need personal care the opportunity to live as independently as possible in their own self-contained home. Before being accepted for flexi care applicants are assessed both on their housing and support needs. More information is available on our Sheltered Housing page.

Apply for a Smaller Home

Whether you want to move to a smaller general needs home, sheltered housing or Flexi care you will need to apply to the Housing Register on the Home Options website.

Help & Support

Many social landlords offer incentives to households who want to downsize. This may include:

  • Cash payments
  • Help with moving costs
  • Support to find a suitable property
  • Help buying carpets and curtains and decorating your new home

The help you will get will vary depending on who your landlord is.

If you are interested in moving to a smaller property, contact your landlord to find out what incentives they offer to tenants who want to downsize and whether you qualify.