Harassment and Illegal eviction

If you have an assured shorthold tenancy, an assured tenancy or a regulated tenancy, your landlord cannot force you to leave, even if they have a court order. If your landlord wants you to leave s/he must follow the correct legal procedure.

This involves going through the courts to obtain a possession order and, if you still don't leave, going back to court for a bailiff to evict you. You can only be evicted by a bailiff with a valid warrant from the court.

As long as you have a legal right to live there, your landlord cannot drive you out of your home or stop you using part of it by using intimidation, such as:

  • changing the locks
  • issuing threats
  • bullying
  • violence or threats of violence
  • withholding services such as gas or electricity
  • removing your belongings

Illegal eviction, intimidation and violence are all criminal offences.

If your landlord is trying to evict you without following the correct legal procedures, you should contact the council for advice.

If you are in immediate danger call 999 and ask for the police. Please see the list of independent organisations on the Independent advice and debt agencies page for further advice.