Bin Collection Changes
The council has agreed proposals to change how bins are collected in East Herts. This will reduce waste and increase recycling, make the services more effective and efficient and help keep service delivery costs as low as possible.
What is changing?
- The introduction of food waste to be collected from the kerbside weekly
- Black bin collections to move to a three-weekly collection cycle
Introducing a three weekly collection cycle will:
- Help increase the district’s recycling rate - recent analysis of black bins in East Herts found that 43% of the contents could be recycled.
- Reduce waste by encouraging residents to free up space in their black bin.
- Reduce carbon emissions by an estimated 60 tonnes as collection vehicles would be out for less time and cover a lower mileage
- Save around £270k a year, a substantial reduction in the current landscape of rising costs and other pressures on council budgets
The changes will come into effect in 2025
- Read our latest press release
- Take a look at the full Future Service Design of Waste, Recycling and Street Cleansing Services Report
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information.