Dumped Rubbish (Fly tipping and littering)

You can report dumped rubbish to us to investigate and remove.

Fly tipping on other land

Details on who to contact for other types of fly tipping can be found below:

  • Roads - if a fly tip is blocking part or all of the road, please report it to Hertfordshire County Council via the Highway Fault Reporting Form on the HCC website or by calling 0300 1234 047.
  • Rivers, streams or canals - if the rubbish is in or by rivers, streams or canals, or on their paths or banks, please contact the Environment Agency on 0800 807 060
  • Private Land - please contact the landowner and the Council using our Report Fly Tipping Form. Although we don't remove fly tipping on private land,  we will investigate fly tipping to see if we can establish evidence.
  • Public Land - please use our Report Fly-Tipping Form to tell us about the instance.
  • We empty the majority of litter bins across the District.  If you have seen a full or overflowing bin, please see our overflowing bin page.

East Herts Council Officers now wear bodycams whilst patrolling and throughout investigations. For further details on our data protection policy , please see the following page

In your report please include as many details as possible, including:

  • location and type of rubbish that has been dumped
  • details of vehicle that dumped the rubbish (if possible)
  • description of the people involved (if possible)
  • Please do not touch the fly tip or remove any items from the waste.

If you witness fly tipping actually taking place call the Police on 999.

If you need assistance to complete the form, please see our Contact Us page for ways of getting in touch.

Disposing of your waste correctly

Every householder or business has a responsibility to make sure that the person taking their waste away has a Waste Carriage Licence, this must be in date and checked on the Environment Agency website, this starts with CBDU and is for an Upper Tier Carrier (Upper Tier is when someone else takes your waste away)

  • You MUST  obtain a receipt/waste transfer note and this needs the name and contact details of the company including a telephone number, their waste carriage licence number, what they are taking away, and where to and how much paid.
  • It is also a good idea to write down their vehicle registration plate
  • Failure to check their licence and have a receipt is a criminal offence to which you may be fined or prosecuted for
  • always use a registered waste carrier or register to carry your own waste. To check if your carrier has a registered licence, please see the Environment Agency website.

Every business that produces waste in the UK has a legal 'duty of care' to:

Please see our Trade Waste pages for more details

Let's SCRAP fly tipping


The Hertfordshire Fly Tipping Group

For more information, please see the Hertfordshire Fly Tipping Group, a multi-agency taskforce including the Boroughs, Districts and County Council as well as the Police, Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, Herts Fire & Rescue, the Environment Agency, the National Farmers Union and Keep Britain Tidy which has come together to improve how Hertfordshire responds to fly tipping.

If you have further questions on fly-tipping or littering - please visit our queries page