Blue Lidded Bin Collections
The blue lidded bin is for:
- Glass bottles and jars
- tins and cans
- clean foil
- cartons (used for juices, milks and soups)
- plastics* - rigid plastic food containers and bottles only
*Please note that you shouldn't put soft plastic in your blue lidded bin, this should be placed in your black bin.*
Some examples of soft plastic include:
- all plastic carrier bags from supermarkets and shops
- black bags and plastic liners
- food bags e.g. cereal packets, vegetable/fruit/bread bags etc
- film plastic packaging on food punnets and meat trays
- cling film/shrink wrap
- film wrap on magazines, postal packaging etc
East Herts Council provides each household in the district with one blue lidded bin.
Please Note: We do not accept additional bags or boxes of recycling alongside of your blue lidded bin, this includes large cardboard (which should be contained within the blue lidded bin). For further information, please see our Guide to Bins, Boxes and Collections page
Residents have the option of using either an inner paper box for separated paper which sits inside the blue lidded bin or blue/green kerbside box for paper. (Please use a lid to keep papers dry).
You can place additional paper out for collection in a kerbside box if you need to.
If you would like an inner box for your blue lidded bin please complete our New or Replacement Bin form.
If your blue lidded bin contains items which are not acceptable it will NOT be emptied as this is considered contamination. You must remove the contamination and the crew will collect it on your next scheduled collection date. We will not return for contaminated bins.