Guide to Bins, Boxes and Collections

In East Herts we have black bins, blue lidded bins, brown bins and paper boxes. Read our guide to what goes in each bin and how and when they will be collected.

Bin Collections

East Herts Council has an alternate refuse and recycling collection service. This means your black wheeled bin is collected fortnightly on your waste week with your blue alternate week.

We also offer a paid for Garden Waste Collection service. If you subscribe to this service your garden waste will be collected from your brown bin, along with your blue-lidded recycling bin, fortnightly.

Please note the following;

  • Only items that cannot be composted or recycled should go into your black bin or sacks.
  • East Herts Council provides each household in the district with one black bin and one blue lidded bin.
  • Only waste contained within the wheeled bins will be collected.
  • For residents who have difficult access or no front or rear garden we operate a sack collection service. In these circumstances we also provide a green paper box and a blue recycling box which will be collected fortnightly on your recycling week. More boxes are available on request.
  • We offer a kerbside collection service; this means your bin must be presented with the lid closed at the kerbside of your property by 7am.
  • The kerbside of your property is where the front of your property / garden meets the public highway (pavement or road).
  • Operatives will not step onto your property. Extra waste left at the side of the bins or placed on top of the bins will not be collected.
  • If you are not physically able to place your bins on the kerbside you may qualify for an Assisted Bin Collection.
  • If you have a bin that is damaged or you have a bin missing please, Request a replacement bin for your property.


If any of your bins contain items which are not acceptable it will NOT be emptied as this is considered contamination. You must remove the contamination and the crew will collect it on your next scheduled collection date. We will not return for contaminated bins.

Blue bin collections

Recycling is collected mixed via your blue lidded bin. The only separating you will need to do is placing paper in your paper box.

East Herts Council provides each household in the district with one blue lidded bin.

Please Note: We do not accept additional bags or boxes of recycling alongside of your blue lidded bin, this includes large cardboard (which should be contained within the blue lidded bin).

Guide to blue lidded bins (If you are viewing via mobile, please tilt horizontally to see all columns)

Yes Please No thanks
  • Aerosol cans
  • Aluminium foil
  • Biscuit tins
  • Butter tubs
  • Cardboard (no sticky tape or labels)
  • Cartons
  • Cereal boxes
  • Drink cans
  • Egg cartons - cardboard
  • Egg cartons - plastic
  • Foil
  • Food tins
  • Fruit punnets
  • Glass - bottles and jars
  • Ice-cream containers
  • Jars
  • Kitchen roll tubes
  • Margarine tubs
  • Microwave meal trays
  • Milk bottles - plastic
  • Plastic bottles - put the lids in separately
  • Plastic plant/flower pots
  • Plastic sweet containers/tubs
  • Plastic food trays
  • Tetra Packs
  • Tin Foil
  • Toilet roll tubes
  • Toothpaste tubes
  • Washing powder boxes
  • Yoghurt pots
  • Caddy liners without the seedling logo
  • Cardboard with sticky tape/labels
  • Carpet
  • Cat Litter
  • Household waste
  • Plant post and planters
  • Polystyrene
  • Soft Plastics such as carrier bags
  • Soil
  • Turf

*Please note that you shouldn't put soft plastic in your blue lidded bin, this should be placed in your black bin.*

Some examples of soft plastic include:

  • all plastic carrier bags from supermarkets and shops
  • black bags and plastic liners
  • food bags e.g. cereal packets, vegetable/fruit/bread bags etc
  • film plastic packaging on food punnets and meat trays
  • cling film/shrink wrap
  • film wrap on magazines, postal packaging etc

Can't find the item you're looking for in the list? Check our A-Z.

Kerbside Paper Box collections

Residents have the option of using either an inner paper box (if they have one) for separated paper which sits inside the blue lidded bin or blue/green kerbside box for paper. 

You can place additional paper out for collection in a kerbside box if you need to.

If you would like a kerbside box for your paper please complete our new or replacement bin form

(Please note that we are no longer issuing inner paper boxes or box lids) 

Please only put the following items in the inner paper/ kerbside box

  • Brochures
  • Catalogues
  • Directories
  • Envelopes - white only (please remove plastic windows)
  • Junk mail
  • Magazines/ Newspapers
  • Shredded paper
  • Yellow Pages

Can't find the item you're looking for in the list? Check our A-Z.

Black bin collections

Your black bin should only be used for items which are not able to be recycled. 

There are many clothes banks across the District, see our Clothes Recycling centres in East Herts page for more information

These items and many others below can be recycled, often at Local Household Waste & Recycling Centres 

Guide to Black bins (If you are viewing via mobile, please tilt horizontally to see all columns)
Yes Please No thanks
  • Ash (once cooled)
  • Black sacks
  • Bubble wrap
  • Carrier bags
  • Cereal bags
  • Cling film
  • Crisp packets
  • Drinking glasses
  • Nappies
  • Plastic bags - not widely recycled but often supermarkets offer recycling
  • Plastic film/wrap
  • Polystyrene - expanded/white - usually found in packaging
  • Pyrex
  • Tape - sticky parcel tape
  • Wrapping paper
  • Batteries
  • Bricks and Rubble
  • Clothing*
  • Duvets
  • Electrical Items
  • Unused Paint

Can't find the item you're looking for in the list? Check our A-Z.

Brown bin collections

Your brown bin is for garden waste.

If you find your brown bin is regularly full, home composting can reduce the amount of food and garden waste you generate - check out our guide to home composting.

Find out more about what can go in your brown bin our Garden Waste page.