Dumped Rubbish (Fly tipping)

You can report dumped rubbish to us to investigate and remove.

Report Fly tipping

You can report fly tipping using the Report Fly Tipping Form. We can only remove dumped rubbish on verges, pavements next to roads and on council-owned land.  Please double check its our land by seeing our guidance below

In your report please include as many details as possible, including:

  • location and type of rubbish that has been dumped
  • details of vehicle that dumped the rubbish (if possible)
  • description of the people involved (if possible)

Please do not touch the fly tip or remove any items from the waste.

If you witness fly tipping actually taking place call the Police on 999.

If you are unable to use this form, please see our Contact Us page for ways of getting in touch.

Fly tipping on other land

Details on who to contact for other types of fly tipping can be found below:

  • Roads - if a fly tip is blocking part or all of the road, please report it to Hertfordshire County Council via the Highway Fault Reporting Form on the HCC website or by calling 0300 1234 047.
  • Rivers, streams or canals - if the rubbish is in or by rivers, streams or canals, or on their paths or banks, please contact the Environment Agency on 0800 807 060
  • Private Land - please contact the landowner and the Council using our Report Fly Tipping Form. Although we don't remove fly tipping on private land,  we will investigate fly tipping to see if we can establish evidence.

Preventing fly tipping

Everyone has a legal 'duty of care' to ensure your household or business waste is disposed of correctly.

You can be prosecuted even if your waste is fly tipped by someone else on your behalf.

If it's YOUR waste, it's YOUR responsibility.

Always use a registered waste carrier to collect your rubbish. Follow the SCRAP code.  



suspect all waste carriers. Don't let them take your rubbish until they provide proof of registration. Note their vehicle's registration plate.


Check that a waste carrier is registered with the Environment Agency.


Refuse any unexpected offers to have your rubbish taken away.


Ask how your rubbish will be disposed of - seek evidence of this.


Paperwork must be obtained: a proper invoice, waste transfer note or receipt, including a description of the waste being removed and the waste carrier's contact details.

Please see the following fly tipping video for more details of your roles and responsibilities when disposing of rubbish

You can also take your waste to a Household Waste & Recycling Centre.  We also offer a Bulky Rubbish Collection service.

The Hertfordshire Fly Tipping Group

For more information, please see the Hertfordshire Fly Tipping Group , a multi-agency taskforce including the Boroughs, Districts and County Council as well as the Police, Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, Herts Fire & Rescue, the Environment Agency, the National Farmers Union and Keep Britain Tidy which has come together to improve how Hertfordshire responds to fly tipping.

Is your business disposing of its waste correctly?

Every business that produces waste in the UK has a legal 'duty of care' to:

Please see our Trade Waste pages for more details