Help with Childcare Costs
Help with Childcare Costs is calculated at the same time as your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.
You may qualify for help if you are:
- a lone parent in paid work for more than 16 hours per week
- a member of a couple, both of whom are in paid work, more than 24 hours per week
- a member of a couple where one is in paid work for more than 16 hours per week and the other is incapacitated*
*Incapacitated means disabled or blind and getting certain benefits.
Childcare you can get help with
The disregard applies to children only until the first Monday in September after their 15th birthday (16th birthday if disabled).
In order to qualify for help with paying for childcare, the care must be provided by:
- a registered childminder.
- a registered nursery.
- for children aged 8 and over, but under 15 (16 if disabled), care provided by a local authority.
- a child care scheme exempt from registration.
Calculate your help with childcare costs
Help with childcare costs is calculated at the same time as your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.
Claim help with childcare costs
If you qualify and don't already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you can claim online using our Benefits Claim and Calculator.
Alternatively, you can also download and complete our.
Please note, you will need to return it to Benefits Section, East Herts Council, Council Offices, Wallfields, Pegs Lane, Hertford, SG13 8EQ