Make a New Benefit Claim

The fastest way to assess your eligibility for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support is by using our online Benefits Claim Form.

Housing Benefits - New Claim

From 3 October 2018 if you are of working age and need to make a new claim for Housing costs you will have to claim Universal Credit instead, directly administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

For more information about Universal Credit and to find out if you're eligible visit the website.

There are some exception groups who can continue to claim from us in the same way:

  • pensioners
  • customers living in temporary/emergency/supported accommodation.

In these situations, please see our Housing Benefit page. If you are unsure as to what benefit you should be claiming, please email or telephone 01279 655261 without delay.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment which will replace six means tested benefits. These are:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance

You will need to provide certain documentation in order to make an application. For information on what evidence is acceptable. please see our information and evidence page. We cannot process your application until all your documentation has been received. Once your application has been assessed you will receive a decision notice. The decision notice will confirm that you qualify for benefit and how much you will receive.

For those who are eligible to apply for Universal Credit, if you are awarded Universal Credit you will receive an allowance for your living expenses and housing costs where applicable.

How to claim Council Tax Support

To assess whether you will be eligible for any discount, you may want to complete a Council Tax support application form online. This is managed separately from housing benefit claims which is managed by Universal Credit.

In addition to Council Tax Support, you may qualify for certain non means tested discounts . For more information on discounts, please see our Council Tax page.

Payment of your Council Tax Support

Council Tax support will be shown as a reduction on your Council Tax bill.