Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payment is for people in receipt of partial Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support but who are struggling to pay the shortfall.

Each year the Government gives local authorities money to help customers who don't qualify for full housing or council tax support and who suffer hardship as a result.

The Government has also given councils extra funding to give to disabled people living in significantly adapted accommodation, but who have had their benefits reduced because they have a spare room.

You may be given a Discretionary Housing Payment to cover housing costs such as:

  • a reduction in your Housing Benefit after the removal of the spare room subsidy in social housing.
  • an increase in essential work-related costs because you have moved further away from your workplace
  • rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home.

There are only limited funds available which means if we can help you it is usually only for a short period of time. Some people may qualify for longer term support.

Claim a Discretionary Housing Payment

To apply please complete our Discretionary Housing Payment 2019 form

Anyone who is currently claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax support and requires more help with housing costs or Council Tax can apply.