The centre is set to include:
- Three bespoke cinema screens allowing screenings of newly released films
- Increased seating in the auditorium with the introduction of a circle level
- A new studio auditorium seating 150 people
- A relaxing and open public plaza-style foyer
- Uncovering the 12th century motte at the back of the theatre which people can reach directly from The Wash, via a new boardwalk, creating an exciting link between the theatre, Castle Grounds and the castle
- An improved riverside café-bar for both theatre visitors and people enjoying the park
- Improved access to all areas of the building so that artists can better reach the stage, backstage and the dressing rooms.
Rhys Thomas, director of Hertford Theatre, said, “Given recent times the theatre has proven itself to be a vital, central part of the community. We recently welcomed visitors back to the theatre after closing due to Covid-19 and the sense of community spirit and people’s desire to interact with others socially is even more evident. The team and I are excited to share the proposals with the residents of Hertford and visitors to the theatre.”
Eric Buckmaster, executive member wellbeing at East Herts Council, said: “Hertford Theatre has proved itself to be central to Hertford life. It’s a place where those who live in and around the town go, sometimes to be entertained and sometimes to be challenged.
“We have a rare opportunity to facilitate a step-change, to radically improve a significant asset in the town while at the same time releasing a hidden part of Hertford’s history and unlocking a compelling, cultural and heritage offer that will resonate far into the future. I for one am looking forward to see this project continue to develop and take shape.”
The consultation is now open and will close on Monday 28 September.
Find out more information about the proposals and take part in the consultation on our website - www.eastherts.gov.uk/theatredevelopment
If you require a paper copy of the proposals and a paper copy of the survey, either e-mail your request to email@example.com or request a copy from our customer services team on 01279 655261.