Council Tax Property Exemptions

Some properties are exempt from Council Tax. If you own or occupy a property which you think should be exempt, please contact the Council for advice.

Empty property exemptions

  • Repossessed by the lender e.g. building society
  • Held for charitable purposes for up to 6 months
  • Unoccupied because occupation is prohibited by law by reason of action taken under powers conferred by or under any Act of Parliament
  • Unoccupied while the liable person is in prison
  • Unoccupied because the person who would be liable is permanently resident in hospital or in a residential care home
  • Unoccupied and held for a minister of religion
  • Unoccupied following death of resident and probate has not been granted
  • Unoccupied because the liable person is away, giving or receiving care
  • Unoccupied and previously occupied by students
  • Unoccupied and the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
  • Unoccupied 'Granny Annexes'
  • Unoccupied dwelling consisting of a pitch or a mooring which is not occupied by a caravan or, as the case may be, a boat

Occupied property exemptions

  • Occupied entirely by students
  • Occupied armed forces barracks and married quarters. Their occupants will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement
  • Where at least one liable person is a member of a visiting force
  • Where all the residents are less than 18 years of age
  • Where all the residents are severely mentally impaired
  • Where at least one liable person is a foreign diplomat
  • 'Granny Annexes' occupied by a qualifying relative
  • Occupied student halls of residence provided predominantly for the accommodation of students

These categories are only broad descriptions of the available exemptions.

For more information on the different classes of Council Tax Exemptions, please read our Council Tax Exemptions leaflet [122KB] .

Apply for a Property Exemption

If you believe your dwelling should be exempt from council tax please apply by completing the Property Exemption Application Form

Please remember, while you are waiting for the outcome of an application, you must continue to pay your current bill. If this causes any problem, please contact us immediately.

Once in receipt of an exemption should there be a change in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to the exemption you must advise the Revenues Department within 21 days.

Exemptions are reviewed at least once each year. We may ask you to provide information that helps us to do this.

Failing to supply this information or supplying false information could mean any entitlement is cancelled and a penalty of £70 being applied to your account for each year of the failure to notify.