Council Tax Appeals

There are a number of grounds on which you have the right to appeal, including if you believe your Council Tax Banding is incorrect or if you believe you should receive a discount.

Council Tax Band Appeals

If you think your property has been allocated the wrong Council Tax Band, you can appeal by contacting the Valuation Office Agency.

How to Challenge your Council Tax Band

Details on how to challenge your Council Tax Band are available via the Gov.UK website.

Alternatively you should write to:

Listing Officer
Council Tax East
Valuation Office Agency
Ground Floor
Ferrers House
Castle Meadow Road

Phone: 03000 501501

You must continue to pay your Council Tax as billed while awaiting the outcome of any appeal.

Council Tax Bill Appeals

You can appeal your Council Tax Bill if:

  • you think should receive a discount
  • you think the property in question should be exempt from Council Tax
  • you have received a bill, but do not believe you are the person responsible for payment
  • you believe a penalty has been imposed incorrectly

There are two stages to the appeal process:

Stage 1: Representations

You must first write to East Herts Council to make your representations known. You should state who you are and where you live. You should say which decision you are unhappy with and why you are unhappy with it. The council may ask for further information.

The Council has two months in which to consider your representations. You will not have to attend a hearing at this stage. If the council rejects your arguments, or it acts on your complaint but you are still not satisfied, or at the end of two months you have not heard from your council, you will be able to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

Stage 2: Appeal to a Valuation Tribunal Service

To appeal a Council or District Valuer Decision you will need to contact the Valuation Tribunal Service by:

Telephone: 0303 445 8100

Further information can be found on the Valuation Tribunal Service website

The Tribunal will ask you to make your appeal in writing, stating which decision you are appealing against, why you disagree with it, or, as the case may be, that the council did not reach a decision. If you and the other parties agree your case may be dealt with by an exchange of written representations. Otherwise, the Tribunal will get in touch with you to make arrangements for a hearing and will send you a leaflet explaining its procedures in detail. Hearings usually last no more than a day. A Tribunal hearing will not cost you anything unless you choose to employ a solicitor or other person to present your case.

If the Tribunal decides in your favour, your council will revise your bill and adjust your payments, if necessary.