Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Residents of Certain Dwellings - Hostels or Night Shelter

If you're sole or main residence is a hostel or night shelter you will not normally need to pay Council Tax.

You will be disregarded for Council tax purposes if your sole or main residence:

  • currently provides residential accommodation - such as a hostel or night shelter and
  • the accommodation is predominantly provided in non-self contained units, for persons on no fixed abode and no settled way of life, and under licences to occupy that do not constitute a tenancy agreement.

In these cases it is normally the person who owns the hostel or night shelter who will be liable to pay Council Tax.

The council will periodically carry out a review of discounts and may send you a form to confirm whether it still applies. If you do not return the form your discount may be cancelled. 

Please note: Failing to supply information or supplying false information could result in a penalty of £70 being applied to your account for each year of the failure to notify.