Disability Equality Strategy
This duty means that in everything they do authorities should have a due regard to the need to:
- promote equality of opportunity between disabled persons and other persons
- eliminate discrimination that is unlawful under the Act
- eliminate harassment of disabled persons that is related to their disabilities
- promote positive attitudes towards disabled persons
- encourage participation by disabled persons in public life; and
- take steps to take account of disabled persons' disabilities, even where that involves treating disabled persons more favourably than other persons.
The following Disability Equality Strategy document sets out how we will adopt these points
The Disability Equality Duty aims to make the promotion of disability equality central to the way public authorities work and promoting disability equality will improve the delivery of public services for everyone.