Anti Social Behaviour

The term 'anti-social behaviour' (ASB) relates to a wide range of behaviour that can blight the quality of life for communities. You can report ASB using a range of online forms.

ASB is a broad ranging issue and covers a variety of behaviours.

The ASB, Crime and Policing Act 2014 defines ASB as:

  • Conduct that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to any person
  • Conduct capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to a person in relation to that person's occupation of residential premises, or
  • Conduct capable of causing (housing-related) nuisance or annoyance to any person

The following are examples of ASB:

ASB can be hard to resolve as what one person considers as reasonable another may view as anti-social. Therefore the solution to the problem will be wide ranging and often involving more than one agency.

The East Herts Community Safety Partnership recognises that ASB can be serious problem that affects the quality of life of individuals, families and communities. We're committed to tackling anti-social behaviour (ASB), and will use the range of powers and resources available, both criminal and civil, to ensure that we take a robust stand against ASB where evidence is available.

How to report ASB

The easiest and quickest way to report ASB is to complete our Anti Social Behaviour reporting form.

Please note that any incident form completed will only be accessed by officers during office hours (Monday - Friday, 9.00am - 5.00pm). Therefore, should you require an immediate or urgent response always contact Herts Police on 999 or 101.

Alternatively, you can contact the Anti-social Behaviour & Projects Officer on 01992 531423 (Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm)

It is useful if you keep a diary of incidents. Any information is treated as confidential and diaries can be completed anonymously if preferred, however by not included your details we would not be able to update you on any action taken. There is advice and guidance at the front of each diary on how to complete them. Diaries can be obtained by contacting the ASB and Projects Officer at East Herts Council (details above) or by visiting your local police station.

East Herts Council endeavours to make contact with you within two working days of you making a complaint. Any information the complainant has provided will be held on a confidential database only for the purpose of reducing ASB and in accordance with the Data Protection Act. It may be shared with partner agencies where necessary to prevent further crime and disorder.


There is also a police non-emergency number that can be used 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 101. The operator who answers will ask you for details about the nature of your call and pass you on to the relevant department and person. It's charged at a local rate from a landline wherever you call from (charges from mobile phones vary according to your service provider).

Use it:

  • to speak to a police officer or member of police staff
  • for a general police enquiry, advice and information
  • to report an incident or a crime that has happened

It should not be for an incident or crime in progress as this should be a 999 call

You can also call CrimeStoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

Housing Associations

Please see our Housing Association Contact Numbers page for more information

More information on Anti Social Behaviour can be found on the website