Community Event Guidance

This page contains information about the Safety Advisory Group and how to contact them for advice and guidance if you are planning on holding an event which involves a large gathering of people.

Coronation of King Charles III

The Coronation of King Charles III will be celebrated around the country with a three-day bank holiday weekend from Saturday 6 May to Monday 8 May 2023.

Find out more on the official Coronation website.

Street parties

Hertfordshire County Council are now accepting street party applications for the Coronation weekend, 6-8 May 2023. You'll need to apply by 26 March 2023.

Street parties that close the road must only be for those living on that street.

Apply to close a road.


Safety Advisory Group

The Safety Advisory Group (SAG) is made up of senior officers from all the emergency services (police, fire and rescue, ambulance, NHS Trust) as well as East Herts Council, Hertfordshire County Council and other relevant organisations.

The group meets regularly to consider forthcoming events and to give advice to organisers.

If you're planning to hold an event which involves a large gathering of people, the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) would like you to provide details about the event. This will allow the group to assist with the planning and provide you with advice on a range of issues including safety, street closures and licences that may be required.

Safety Advisory Group guidance notes

We also have guidance notes which aim to help everyone who organises an event to ensure they run safely.

Guide to Safe and Successful Events [1MB]

Road closures

Some events require road closures. If your event requires a road closure this could can be granted by either East Herts Council or Hertfordshire Highways depending on the nature of your event.

If your event involves processions, rejoicing, illuminations or 'thronging' (such as fire work displays, Remembrance Day Parades, or carnivals) the closure will usually fall under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847. Road closures for events meeting the above are authorised by East Herts Council and you should request your road closure(s) using the Event Notification and Road Closure Request form. Please note we may need up to 12 weeks notice to grant a road closure.

If your event is of a sporting and leisure nature (such as cycle races, running races, street parties or you will have a structure on the Highway) the road will usually be closed under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, via Hertfordshire Highways. More information can be found on  Highways, Roads & Pavements - Hertfordshire County Council

Event Notification Form & Road Closure Request

To tell the SAG about your event and request a road closure please complete our Event Notification and Road Closure Request form.