Mobile Homes Site Licences

If someone operates a caravan site which has more than one unit, they need to have a licence issued by the Council.

The term caravan includes mobile homes and park homes and the type of site could be for either permanent, touring or holiday units. Following an assessment of the site by a member of the Environmental Health team, the Council may issue you with a licence to run a caravan site. The number of units that may be accommodated at any one time will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

Eligibility Criteria

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. This means that they MUST have the appropriate Planning Permission for this site.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

You don't need a licence to run a caravan site if:

  • forestry workers, builders, travelling showmen or seasonal workers (like fruit pickers) stay in caravans on the site
  • the site is 5 or more acres and there are 3 or fewer caravans there for 28 days or less a year
  • you're a member of an organisation like a caravan club and have a caravan exemption certificate
  • your site is approved by an organisation with a caravan exemption certificate
  • members of an exempted organisation stay in their caravans on the site
  • your site is used for a social get-together of caravan club members (a 'rally')

Fees, Fines and penalties

There are currently no fees for a mobile home licence however, you may be fined up to £2,500 if you:

  • don't get a licence
  • break any of your licence conditions

Your licence may be withdrawn if you repeatedly break your licence conditions.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from East Herts Council by the end of the target completion period.

Apply or update your application online

You can apply for a Caravan Site licence online. You will also need to pay the appropriate fee. We aim to process your registration within 84 calendar days.

Public Register

Details of licenced mobile home sites are available on our online Public Register. You can find information on how to use the online Public Register on the Public Registers page.

Failed Application Appeals

If you are refused a licence, you should in the first instance discuss this with the inspecting officer who will explain why you have not been successful and what works are needed in order to enable the Council to issue a licence. If you are still dissatisfied with the reasons for refusal you can appeal to the local Magistrates' court.

Licence Holder Redress

If you are unhappy with any of the licence conditions added to your licence, you should in the first instance discuss this with the inspecting officer who will explain why they have been added. If you are still dissatisfied with the reasons for any conditions you can appeal to the local Magistrates' court.

The Council may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local Magistrates' court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on East Herts Council.

Consumer Complaints

Depending on the nature of the complaint, we would always advise that in the first instance contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.