Food Premises Registration

All food businesses need to register with the local authority for the area they operate in. It is essential that you keep your information up to date.

Who needs to register?

If your business stores, prepares, distributes, handles or sells food within East Hertfordshire, then you need to be registered with East Herts Council. Premises include, but are not limited to, restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Registration should take place at least 28-days before you plan to start your business.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by East Herts Council or the Food Standards Agency, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact Environmental Health.

NB: From the 1st January 2014 childminders in England will no longer be required to register separately as a food business operator (FBO) as the information they provide when registering as a childminder with Ofsted will now be used to satisfy both purposes.

Will tacit consent apply?

Registration cannot be refused and you can continue with your business 28-days after you have submitted your registration form. However, when planning a new food business or significant alterations we would recommend that you contact us at the earliest opportunity so we can help advise you how to meet the required standards.

Registering your food business

Registration should take place at least 28-days before you plan to start your business.

Register your food business online. You can also use this form to update the Council of any significant changes to your food business.

New food business questionnaire

Here at East Herts Council, we are committed to delivering a quality service which helps businesses within the district thrive while at the same time protecting the health and welfare of all those that live and work here.

We have designed the New Food Business Questionnaire to help us achieve this and prioritise your business with regard to its routine inspections. If your business is lower-risk, such as a cupcake maker, you will not be inspected as quickly or frequently as a higher-risk business that is preparing foods, such as a restaurant.

The Council operates the Food Standards Agency's Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. In order to qualify for a rating, you will need to be inspected by a food officer. Until this happens, you are able to request an "Awaiting Inspection" window sticker for your business by completing the form accompanying this questionnaire.

How do I cancel my registration?

If, after registering, your circumstances change and you need to cancel your application, you can do this by emailing the Environmental Health team with your request and details of the food business it relates to.

Further guidance for your business

Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership's pages on Better Business for All provide information on how businesses can access the support they need from Local Authorities.

The Hertfordshire Growth Hub website provides information on the support they can offer to businesses in Hertfordshire.

See the Hertfordshire County Council website for support the county council can offer businesses.

The Food Standards Agency website has a range of guidance that may be useful if you are starting a new food business.