Requesting a Review

If you do not agree with the council's decision on your application for assistance under homelessness legislation, or your application to join the housing register, you have the right to ask for it to be reviewed. This means that the case will be looked at again by an officer who was not involved in making the original decision.

What can I request a review of?

You can ask for a review of:

A) a decision that you are not eligible for assistance
B) a decision that you are not homeless;
C) a decision that you are not in priority need;
D) a decision that you are intentionally homeless;
E) a decision that the relief duty has ended
F) a decision that your application for homelessness assistance is being referred to another local authority;
G) a decision that the council's duty to provide you with temporary accommodation has come to an end;
H) a decision that accommodation offered to you is suitable for your household;
I) a decision that you do not qualify for the housing register
J) a decision that you should be removed from the housing register
K) a decision on the steps to be taken to prevent or relieve your homelessness
L) a decision that the prevention duty has ended
M) a decision that you have deliberately and unreasonably refused to co-operate

When can I ask for a review?

You must ask for your review within 21 days of us notifying you of a decision. After 21 days you have no right to a review, but we may consider carrying out a review if there is a compelling reason why you couldn't apply sooner.

How do I ask for a review?

The easiest way to ask for a review is to fill in our online Request a Review Form. Alternatively, you can contact us by letter or telephone, details of which can be found on our Contact Us page. If you wish, you can get someone else to ask for the review on your behalf, for example, a friend, Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor. When requesting a review, please tell us the reason why you disagree with our decision and provide any information you have to support your case.

What happens next?

We will acknowledge your request for a review in writing and inform you of who will be carrying out the review and the process that will be followed.

You will be given the opportunity to provide more information about your situation and may be invited to an interview. It is important that you tell the reviewing officer any new information that needs to be considered; otherwise the review will be based on the facts that are already known about your circumstances.

How long will it take?

A decision on a review requested on points A to J in the list above will normally be made within 56 days (eight weeks) from the date that you asked for the review.

A decision on a review requested on points K - M in the list above will normally be made within three weeks of the date that you asked for a review, or three weeks from the date on which we receive any representations you may submit.

Will I be provided with accommodation while the review is carried out?

You can make a request for accommodation to be provided pending the outcome of a review.

When deciding whether to provide you with accommodation, the council will take account of relevant matters including, the merits of you case, any new information provided, your personal circumstances and the consequences for you it accommodation is not provided. We will also take account of the demands on our resources involved in securing accommodation.

We will inform you of our decision and the reasons for it in writing.

What happens when the review is completed?

Once the review has been completed, you will be informed in writing of the decision we have reached.

The letter will explain:

  • What decision has been made on your review ; and
  • What information has been used to come to this decision; and
  • The reason for the decision

What if I disagree with the review decision?

If you think our review decision is legally wrong you can make an appeal to the County Court. You have 21 days from the day you receive the decision in which to apply to the Court. We suggest you get legal advice before doing so.

Where can I get independent advice?

For further information and help, please see our Independent advice and debt agencies page