All traders wishing to work in Hertford retail, Hertford farmer's market or Ware market must obtain a monthly or annual 'Street Trading Consent'.
- Casual traders will no longer be able to turn up on the day and commence trading.
- You will need to submit you application at least 28 days before intending to trade.
- The minimum period to trade is one month at time (at present).
- Alternatively you may consider becoming a regular trader as this may work out to be a more attractive option.
- Traders are invited to trade on Tuesdays at Ware and Saturdays in Hertford
The Council welcomes enquiries from new traders. Please contact email@example.com or call 01279 655261 to discuss your requirements.
All traders must:
- Have public liability insurance
- Supply their own stall for Hertford and Ware weekly retail markets
- Provide details and have suitable means to dispose of their own waste
- We can supply stalls for traders at the monthly Hertford Farmers Market.
- Please note: payment of fees must be in advance as we no longer have the facility to take payment on the day.
|Type of consent||Price||Description|
Street Trading Consent (static)
This fee is for those traders who plan to trade from a single location, such as a burger van trading from a lay-by.
|Street Trading Consent (mobile)||£371.90||This fee is for those traders who plan to trade from multiple locations for a limited duration each time, such as an ice cream vendor.|
Street Trading Occasional
This fee is for those traders who plan to trade for up to one month at any one time and location.
Street Trading Occasional (registered charity)
This fee is for registered Charities who plan to trade for up to one month at any one time.
|Market Licence - up to 10 stalls||£35.30|
|Market Licence - up to 11 - 30 stalls||£59.10|
|Market Licence - up to 31 plus stalls||£123.00|
- All prices are per pitch
- There is an additional charge if electricity is required - please contact us for pitch availability and prices.
How to Apply
Please ensure you consider the following before making an application
- You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.
- You may also be required to provide two photographs of yourself.
- You must comply with any conditions attached to a licence.
Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:
- There isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
- You wish to trade for less days than any minimum required trading days
- You are unsuitable to hold a licence do to any previous convictions or for other reasons
- You have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence
For further information, please see ourand . Please use the following forms depending on the application you would like to apply for.
Application Evaluation Process
Under certain circumstances if certain grounds for refusal exist East Herts Council may still award consent but for fewer days than require, or to allow trade in certain items.
East Herts Council will either grant the application or serve a notice on you within a reasonable time.
The notice will be served if we (the council) intend to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.
The notice will detail the grounds for their decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.
Tacit consent does apply. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from East Herts Council by the end of the target completion period.