All traders wishing to work in Hertford retail, Hertford farmer's market or Ware market must obtain a monthly or annual 'Street Trading Consent'.
- You will need to submit you application at least 28 days before intending to trade.
- The minimum period to trade is one month at time.
- Traders are invited to trade in Ware (Commercial) Tuesday 8am - 6pm, Hertford (Commercial) Saturday 8am - 6pm and Hertford (Farmers) 8:30am - 1pm (second Saturday of the month).
The Council welcomes enquiries from new traders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01279 655261 to discuss your requirements.
All traders must:
- Have public liability insurance
- Supply their own stall for Hertford and Ware weekly retail markets
- Provide details and have suitable means to dispose of their own waste
- Supply two passport photographs of the consent holder
- Pay the required fee
Notes - Please contact us for pitch availability and prices.
How to Apply to trade
For further information, please see ourand if you would like a copy of the ESTC & Farmers Market Info Pack then please request one via email or phone.
Application Evaluation Process
Your application will be evaluated against the criteria set out in the Street Trading Policy and against any reasonable and appropriate objections.
The Council will approve the application if it:
a) meets the criteria set out in the policy, and
b) there are no reasonable and appropriate objections.
If the application does not meet the criteria in this policy, or there are reasonable and appropriate objections the Council will contact the applicant and objectors to attempt to resolve the potential reasons for refusal.
Under certain circumstances if certain grounds for refusal exist East Herts Council may still award consent but for fewer days than require, or to allow trade in certain items only.
East Herts Council will either grant the application or serve a notice of refusal on you within a reasonable time.
The notice will be served if we (the council) intend to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.
The notice will detail the grounds for the decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.
Tacit consent does apply. This means that you will be unable to trade until your application is granted.
If you are interested in arranging an additional Market in Hertford or Ware then this will be covered by street trading legislation. For further information please visit our Street Trading Consents page.