Cooling Tower Registration

All commercial premises with cooling towers and evaporative condensers must register with the Council.

Over recent years there have been a number of outbreaks across the UK of Legionnaires' Disease associated with cooling towers and evaporative condensers, which have often resulted in serious cases of infection and in some cases death. Such outbreaks also give rise to considerable public concern and take up significant enforcing authority resources. It is because these wet cooling systems pose the most serious risk from outbreaks of legionnaires' disease if not properly looked after, that the registration requirement was brought in.

Registration summary

If you control non-domestic premises you must ensure that you notify East Herts Council of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser on the premises except where:

  • it contains no water that is exposed to air; and
  • its water supply is not connected; and
  • its electrical supply is not connected

You must:

  • notify East Herts Council in writing (including by electronic means) on an approved form
  • notify East Herts Council of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change, in writing
  • if the device ceases to be a notifiable device, notify East Herts Council in writing as soon as possible

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from East Herts Council by the end of the target completion period.

Apply or update your details online

To register or update your details you need to complete an online form:

We aim to process your registration within 21 calendar days.

Public Register

We maintain a Public Register of HMOs that have been licensed.

Cooling Towers Public Register.

Failed Application Appeals

There is currently no provision in legislation for refusal of registration. Once we receive your registration, we will register your cooling tower(s) and/or evaporative condenser(s).

If you have any concerns about your application, please email

Consumer complaints

Depending on the nature of the complaint, we would always advise that in the first instance contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked or you believe the cooling tower or evaporative condenser has not been registered and you are located in the UK please email, who will be able to give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

How would you rate your online experience?

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)