Noise Nuisance Diary

The Noise Nuisance pack is designed to help you and us identify what action the Council may be able to take to address a nuisance.

If you are suffering what you believe to be a statutory nuisance then you should report it to the Council. This can be done using the Report Environmental Pollution form. In most cases it is appropriate for us to issue you with a Noise Nuisance pack which includes a diary. The diary, once complete, should be submitted to the Council as evidence of the nuisance you are suffering. A Technical Officer will then view the diary and contact you directly about your case.

The diary sheets are the most important enclosure in the Noise Nuisance pack. These help us to assess the level of nuisance and if an abatement notice is eventually served, they will form part of the evidence supporting that action. It is therefore essential that any diary record is factual and accurate. An example of a completed diary page is provided within the pack to assist you in producing the most effective evidence. Completed sheets should be returned to us within a period of approximately two weeks but if they are not received within 28 days of them being sent out then your case will be closed.

If your diary provides evidence that warrants further investigation our next step is to contact the person or persons causing the nuisance and make them aware of the complaint, ask them to cease causing the nuisance and explain that we are investigating. In a percentage of cases where the person is not already aware that they are causing a nuisance this contact resolves the matter. After this contact has been made you will be asked to keep another diary to document whether or not the matter has improved.

If the matter is not resolved at this stage then we may install noise monitoring equipment into your home or attempt to have an officer witness the nuisance for themselves. If a statutory nuisance is witnessed then an abatement notice can be served on the person causing that nuisance.

Complainants details are kept in confidence and not passed to the person causing the nuisance. However, if an abatement notice is served then the diary sheets supplied by a complainant may have to be produced as evidence in court.

There may be occasions when you would prefer to take your own action to resolve a nuisance issue or East Herts Council may not be able to act with the urgency you desire. In such situations individuals or groups are entitled to bring their own action under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Guidance in relation to taking private action can be downloaded from this page.