Section 106 Agreements and Funding for Projects

A Section 106 (S106) is a legal agreement made under Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, signed by the Council and developers that sets out what financial contributions will be paid and what additional, non-financial obligations are required as part of a planning consent for a development.

These agreements, and the contribution obligations within them, are used to support the provision of services and infrastructure, including highways, recreational facilities, education, health and affordable housing.

Further information on the Supplementary Planning Documents SPD's that provide information on the current S106 contribution requirements in East Herts can be found on our Supplementary Planning Documents page. Information on how we use your personal information in connection with S106 can be found in our Planning Obligations Privacy Notice.

Section 106 funding allocation

East Herts Council is also the accountable body for the spending of received S106 financial contributions and therefore must ensure that:

  • The S106 funding is spent on facilities / projects that can be demonstrated to be required because of the new development or need in the locality of the development.
  • The process is transparent and fair to all and follows a consistent procedure.
  • Projects supported are necessary, viable, will deliver the required social and community benefits, and will be well managed and sustainable.

Section 106 Annual Infrastructure Funding Statement

As part of recent changes to legislation Community Infrastructure Levy (Amendment) (England) (No. 2) Regulations 2019, East Herts Council in now required to produce and publish on its website an 'Annual Infrastructure Funding Statement' and three (3) associated CVS files. More information can be found on our Annual Infrastructure Funding Statements page.

How to apply for Section 106 funding for your project:

If you have a project in mind please complete the Expressions of interest form to let us know who you are, what you have planned and how much you need for your project.  We will then check to see if we have any S106 funds available that you fit with your project.  If there are funds available, we will ask you to complete a full application form so we can check against the identified planning application reference and S106 contribution wording. Officers and Councillors will then evaluate the completed funding application before it is agreed and signed off. You will then have to sign a funding Agreement for use of s106 monies to only use the money on your project. Don’t be put off if we can’t find an S106 contribution to fund your current project as we are always working with our Planning Team to identify potential projects for future S106 Agreements.

Bishop’s Stortford North Sports Development Fund

We are currently working on a new funding scheme to allocate the S106 contributions from the Bishop’s Stortford North housing developments. This fund will support sports projects to increase the health and wellbeing of the residents of Bishop's Stortford – further information will soon be available on how you can apply for funding for sports clubs and activities.

Enquiries about Section 106 Agreements

If you are moving, and a property search identifies that your home was subject to a S106 Agreement, we make a charge of £94.00 (no VAT) for an official letter of confirmation of the status and satisfaction of the S106 Agreement financial contribution obligations. To enquire about the status of an S106 Agreement please complete our section 106 funding and general enquiry form.