Old River Lane Timeline
A summary of the key milestones and decisions relating to the Old River Lane (ORL) project.
- Cityheart withdraw their planning application.
- Town Centre Planning Framework agreed at Council, setting out a long term vision for the town centre, including the ORL site.
- Council approve land use for ORL to be a mixed development, including significant new arts centre comprising 500 seat theatre, 3-4 cinema screens, a one stop-shop for council services, cafe/bar, housing and retail. Need for new parking provision also identified.
- Council approve delivery models for ORL site: main site will be developed through a contract with a third party. The council will retain ownership of the arts centre part of the scheme with the developer building it to the council’s specification.
- Executive approve appointment of Cityheart as developer following procurement process.
- Council agree budget for ORL, including capital allocation for build of the arts centre and on-going revenue subsidy.
- Contract awarded for building of Northgate End car park and residential/commercial block.
- Council agrees revised budget for scheme given it can no longer afford to subsidise the arts centre. Changes to a cinema led facility with some flexible spaces that will not require an on-going subsidy.
- Northgate End car park opens.
- Council adopts Supplementary Planning Document on Old River Lane following public engagement process over the summer.
- Cityheart submit outline planning application for ORL site.
- Cityheart planning application validated and open for comments.
- ORL Delivery Board decides to reconsult with residents on the arts centre offer whilst still continuing with the rest of the scheme through Cityheart.