Guidance on Private Hire Operators
The booking can be carried out by either a licensed Private Hire vehicle or a Hackney Carriage.
Private Hire operators must keep a record of every booking they accept for a Private Hire vehicle and this record must be available, upon request, for inspection by any authorised Council officer.
Conditions for a licence
The following is a list of conditions which apply to the issue of a private hire operator's licence:
- The premises must be within East Herts
- The applicant must be a "fit and proper" person
- Must maintain records for at least 6 months which show details of the bookings taken and the driver/vehicle which carried out the contract
- Must NOT allow any private hire vehicle to display the word "taxi" or "cab" or "for hire", or give the impression that the vehicle is a licensed Hackney Carriage.
- Must have an employee conviction policy if employing anyone other than an East Herts Licensed Driver ie a controller who is taking bookings and/or despatching vehicles.
Applicants are required to have a basic criminal record check at the time of application and at renewal.
If you have met all the above conditions please complete our Private Hire Operator application form.