Personal Licence to Sell Alcohol

Premises licensed to sell alcohol using a Premises Licence must name a designated premises supervisor (DPS) who holds a Personal Licence.

To get a licence, applicants must be at least 18 and hold a qualification from an accredited provider.

Applicants must submit:

You can apply for a basic criminal records disclosures online through the Disclosure & Baring Service. Your disclosure must be no more than one month old when you apply.

The photographs must be 45mm x 35mm (passport size) and show your full face and head (unless any head coverings are worn for religious reasons). One photograph must be certified as being of you. Make sure you check who can sign passport photographs before asking someone to countersign for you. They need to state that the photograph is a true likeness of you, and include their name and occupation.

Completed applications need to be sent to;

Licensing & Enforcement, East Herts Council, Wallfields, Pegs Lane, Hertford, Herts, SG13 8EQ

Applications can only be refused where someone has had a personal licence taken away from them within the last five years or if they have a relevant criminal conviction and the Police object to the licence being issued.

We aim to process your application within five working days. If you have a conviction, there is a 14-day consultation with the Police and it may be necessary to hold a hearing to decide your application.

You must wait to hear from us before you can use the licence.  If your personal licence application is refused there is a right of appeal to the magistrates court within 21 days.

Changes to your personal licence or replacements

Personal licences do not expire so once it is issued you will only need to apply if you change your name or address so that the details are up to date. This will cost £10.50 and it is a criminal offence not to notify us of changes.  Alternatively, if you have lost your licence or it has been stolen, you can apply for a new one.

The easiest way to apply is to use our online Change Personal Details on a Personal Licence form

Alternatively, you are able to fill in Word versions