Watton-at-Stone Neighbourhood Plan
|Date of Designation on Request||Body Submitting Request||Designation on Agreed||Pre-submission Consultation (Reg 14)||Submission on to East Herts (Reg 15)||6 Week consultation (Reg 16)||Examination||Referendum||Adoption|
|25 February 2016||Watton-at-Stone Parish Council||5 April 2016||January - March 2022||29 September 2022||8 November - 20 December 2022||June 2023 - July 2023||12 October 2023|
On 12 October 2023, the Watton-at-Stone Neighbourhood Plan Referendum took place. The Neighbourhood Plan has been voted on and approved by the residents of the Neighbourhood Area. With a turnout of 32.1%, there was an overall 'yes' vote of 609 (95.3%) votes against 30 (4.7%). The final votes and overall election results can be found here.
On 29th August 2023 a decision was made by the Council to proceed to referendum.
A referendum which poses the following question: “Do you want East Herts District Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Watton-at-Stone to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?” will be held in Watton-at-Stone.
The Watton-at-Stone Neighbourhood Plan Referendum is scheduled for Thursday 12 October 2023.
The specified documents for the referendum can be viewed below:
- The Referendum Information Statement
- The Watton-at-Stone Neighbourhood Plan 2017 - 2033;
- Policies map
- The Independent examiner’s report;
- A summary of the representations submitted to the independent examiner;
- A statement by the local planning authority that the plan meets the basic conditions and complies with the relevant legislation;
- A statement setting out general information on town and country planning including neighbourhood planning and the referendum;
Paper copies of these documents are also available for inspection at East Herts District Council, Wallfields Offices, Hertford, SG13 8EQ by appointment. Please call 01279 655261 to arrange.
Christopher Lockhart-Mummery KC has been appointed to undertake the independent examination of the Watton-at-Stone Neighbourhood Plan. Correspondence is published below.
Independent Examination documents and dates:
|The Watton-at-Stone Neighbourhood Plan Examination has now concluded:||31 July 2023|
|East Herts Council’s response to Examiner question:||6 July 2023|
|Examiner’s response to WASPC and EHC reply and an additional question:||6 July 2023|
|Watton-at-Stone Parish Council and East Herts Council’s response to Examiner’s questions:||6 July 2023|
|Examiner’s initial comments:||26 June 2023|
Public Consultation (Reg16)
On the 29 September 2022 Watton-at-Stone Parish Council submitted the Neighbourhood Plan to East Herts District Council under Regulation 15 of the Neighbourhood Planning (General) Regulations 2012.
A consultation took place for a period of 6 weeks from the 8 November 2022 – 20 December 2022.
Representations received can be viewed in the Regulation 16 Consultation Document. These were forwarded to the examiner.
The submission documents can be viewed below:
- Watton-at Stone Neighbourhood Plan
- Consultation Statement
- Basic Conditions Statement
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
- SEA and HRA Screening Determination
To view other background information please follow the link to the Evidence Base.
Paper copies of the documents can be viewed at East Herts Council in Hertford. Alternatively, please contact Watton-at-Stone Parish Council to view the documents. For more information, see the publicity statement.
Representations received under Regulation 16 regarding the plan proposal will be forwarded to an appointed examiner, who will assess the plan proposal and supporting documents against the basic conditions. These basic conditions are:
- having regard to national policies and advice contained in guidance issued by the Secretary of State, it is appropriate to make the neighbourhood development plan;
- the making of the neighbourhood development plan contributes to the achievement of sustainable development;
- the making of the neighbourhood development plan is in general conformity with the strategic policies contained in the development plan for the area of the authority (or any part of that area);
- the making of the neighbourhood development plan does not breach, and is otherwise compatible with, EU obligations, and
- prescribed conditions are met in relation to the neighbourhood development plan and prescribed matters have been complied with in connection with the proposal for the neighbourhood development plan.
Pre-Submission Consultation (Reg 14)
Watton-at-Stone Parish Council is consulting on their draft Neighbourhood Plan between the 17th January 2022 and 6th March 2022. The plan will then be submitted to East Herts Council.
For more information and to view the Draft Neighbourhood Plan please see the Parish Council’s website.
Neighbourhood Area Designation
The Watton-at-Stone Parish was declared a Neighbourhood Area on the 5 April 2016. The designation request and map defining the area can be viewed below: