Hertford Theatre - Project Concept
Since 2019, the project has received planning permission and the tender is out to appoint the main contractor. The theatre is now closed in preparation for the project and works are expected to commence in Autumn 2021.
The centre is set to include:
- Three bespoke cinema screens allowing screenings of newly released films
- Increased seating in the auditorium with the introduction of a circle level
- A new studio auditorium seating 150 people
- A relaxing and open public plaza-style foyer
- Uncovering the 12th century motte at the back of the theatre which people can reach directly from The Wash, via a new boardwalk, creating an exciting link between the theatre, Hertford Castle Grounds and the castle
- An improved riverside café-bar for both theatre visitors and people enjoying the park
- Improved access to all areas of the building so that artists can better reach the stage, backstage and the dressing rooms.
Watch the video below to see and hear a little about what the theatre could look like and meet the project team. This video was used during the public consultation which took place during September 2020.
- Hertford Theatre Consultation Video Transcript (Word version)
- Hertford Theatre Consultation Video Transcript (PDF version)