Sustainability - Get Involved
If you have any ideas or feedback on how you would like to see this page develop, please feel free to get in touch.
Going beyond carbon, our Action Plan now includes specific, measurable projects under the headings of:
- Land use/agriculture/Biodiversity
- Housing and planning
- Business and Economic Development
The plan is updated and shared monthly and reviewed bi-monthly at our Environmental and Climate Forum. There are plenty of ways to get involved and every idea and contribution helps.
Our Environment and Climate Forum is a bi-monthly meeting, currently held on Zoom, which brings together local residents, groups, businesses, partners and Parish Council representatives interested in environmental, climate and sustainability topics.
A range of subjects are covered throughout the year. Alongside a progress update on the Council's carbon reduction Action Plan, presentations cover background data and Government Policy as well as local statistics, issues and/or initiatives.
Forthcoming Forum topics and dates are as follows:
- Thursday 2 December 2021: 2:30pm - Sustainable goods and procurement
- Friday 28 January 2022: 10:30am - Green economy
The meeting is held over one and a half hours and including a half-hour breakout session for questions and further discussion.
Notes from Environmental and Climate Forum meeting held:
- September 2020 - Supplementary Planning Document & Sustainability Action Plan
- November 2020 - Decarbonising Transport
- January 2021 - Biodiversity and Natural Land Use
- March 2021 – Water sustainability
- May 2021 - Energy efficiency and behaviour change
Alongside information on our own sustainability-related events, our Get Involved calendar provides a monthly listing of local and national events and initiatives that individuals and/or community groups can take part in.
September – November 2021.
COP26 is the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties which the UK is hosting on 12th November this year. The discussion and commitments made there will have a huge impact on our future. In the run up to COP26, we are assisting community groups to deliver a series of webinars, events and festivals in the major towns across East Hertfordshire. Our calendar will list dates and details as information becomes available. If you would like to organise an event in your town or get involved with one that is already taking place, please email email@example.com for details.
- 31st October – 12th November – COP26 is the 26th UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties, hosted in the UK. The summit will unite the world to tackle climate change and bring parties together to accelerate action towards the goals of the Paris Agreement and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. In East Herts, Sustainability and Climate Action groups across our district’s towns have brought together some fantastic COP26 events including street stalls, presentations, film screenings and workshops. We’re extremely grateful and proud to acknowledge the extraordinary voluntary contributions of our local residents towards this cause. Thank you!
- Saturday 6th November (2:30pm) – Sustainable Sawbridgeworth are hosting a free, everyone welcome screening of the film Tomorrow at Bullfields. The film challenges audiences to think about the state of our planet while offering a hopeful vision of what’s possible when people come together in community to act on what matters to them.
- Saturday 6th November (9am-1pm) - in the first of two workshops, the ‘Stortford26’ event will create a shared vision of how residents want their town to be in 2026 via a facilitated workshop. The aim is to create a town-wide network for a sustainable future where coming together as a community can achieve more. The event is free and open to anybody living in Bishop’s Stortford. A place can be secured via the Bishop’s Stortford Community Climate Gathering website. Engagement will be with schools and youth, church and other community groups at the Emmaus Centre in St James, Thorley.
- Sunday 7th November (1pm – 5pm) – The Bishop Stortford Community Climate Gathering will meet for the second time and take part in answering the question: ‘what can we do together to improve our environment and act on climate change?’
- Saturday 27th November – Call for exhibitors - Sustainable Hertfordshire Eco Fair at County Hall in Hertford is a showcase event for the public to discover and try out different ways of changing, adapting and contributing towards a greener, cleaner, more sustainable Hertfordshire. Hertfordshire County Council are organising the event and are welcoming exhibitor entries now. The event will be promoted through a wide network including our local press, partner organisations and the council’s social media channels with over 130,000 active subscribers. Places are free of charge and numbers are limited so please submit your interest to Tanya Pascual firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.