Bishop's Park & Play Areas
Bishop's Park is a large grassed open space with a fenced children's play area, a separate sports wall area and space for informal kickabouts, with pathways linking to local schools.
Bishops Park - location and management
Bishops Park is a 6.19 hectare (15.12 acre) open space just off Woodpecker Close in Bishop's Stortford, CM23 4QA. The site is divided by a road and has an enclosed young children's play area on one side and separate sports wall area and space for informal kickabouts on the other. Most of the site is amenity grassland with trees around the edges.
Our Southern Country Park & Beyond 2013 - 2018 [5MB] is a five year greenspace action plan for the park and the four nearby parks to guide the management of the open spaces and steer our plans to create a linked walking route between five parks in Bishop's Stortford.
Bishops Park - Play Areas
Bishops Park has two play areas;
Play Area 1 - Younger Children
- Flat Swing - 2 seat
- Group / Basket Swing
- Themed Springer Unit (Boat)
- 2 x Springer Units
- Toddler Multi-unit with slide
- Balance Beams
- Talk Tubes
- Tyre Swing
Bishops Park - Play Area 2- Older Children
- Electronic interactive Goal Wall with Hoop
- Fitness equipment and grass marked running track (1km)
Bishop's Stortford Parks and Beyond Walks
Explore the south west corner of Bishop's Stortford by following one of our Parks and Beyond circular walks which link together five East Herts Council managed open spaces - Southern Country Park, Northern Parkland, Thorley Wedge, Bishop's Park and The Firs.
Improvements to Bishops Park - Spring 2017
Our focus is to resolve some health and safety issues raised by local residents relating to a vehicular route across the park. We are working in partnership with Hertfordshire Highways and the local Safer to Routes to Schools team to create new pedestrian routes which makes it easier to navigate the park without having to walk along the road and to make accessing the open space easier.
We are also creating a new play and healthy activity zone for older children and adults in the field on the northern side of the park replacing the existing goal wall and will be adding a new rotating cone climber until to the younger children's play area.
Following our consultation on our initial plans for improvements to the park we are now starting construction on the following new play area and access works:
- The new interactive electronic goal wall is being installed in the current kickabouts area and will be programmed to operate between 7am and 10pm
- The back wall board in the kickabouts wall are being replaced with a new basketball hoop
- The tarmac area will be relined and a grass bund made around the edge to help keep balls in play and provide additional seating in the summer
- A new footpath, installed to the north of the hedge line, will separate pedestrians from vehicles - horses and cyclists are to continue using the road
- Additional lighting is being installed along this new footpath and will be programmed to switch off at the same time as the current lighting in the park
- The younger children's play area is getting an additional gate and a rotating cone climber play unit
- A new path from Primrose Close will provide easier access into the open space
- In the north east corner of the open space a new kissing gate and hard surface pad will improve access from the college grounds
- The new car park will accommodate approximately 10 cars and provide better access to the park for visitors - it will have a height barrier to restrict access
- The old car park will be re landscaped and new trees planted - a new passing bay will be created here
- An additional path will be created near the old car park
We have written a letter to residents [412KB] to provide a more in depth explanation of our plans and reasoning. You can see the routes of the new pathways, the new play equipment, the location of the new car park and the additional lighting in the Bishop's Park Improvement Plan [358KB] .
Bishop's Stortford, CM23 4QA