Take the smooth path to a major community grant 
Published 5th November 2020
Four young people standing by a pool table holding smoothie maker and juicer
Healthy smoothies will be on the menu at the Thirst Youth Café in Bishop’s Stortford thanks to a major community grant from East Herts Council. 

The Bishop’s Stortford Youth Project, which runs Thirst Youth café, has bought a juicer, a smoothie maker and an air fat fryer plus equipment for indoor sports with the grant it received from the council. 

Operations manager Jake Tucker said: “The council grant was very helpful and will allow us to offer lots of new healthy options on the menu when we can fully reopen. 

“We are following current coronavirus guidelines regarding the reopening of Thirst and we’re pleased to continue supporting young people.”

Your community project could receive a grant of up to £3,000 from East Herts Council if it will help to create stronger, more connected communities, leading to improved health and wellbeing for people living in East Herts.

Projects that are likely to be successful include: 
•    Arts and cultural activities that increase residents' wellbeing
•    Community issues, including engaging and consulting
•    Health for all
•    High quality, accessible and environmentally sustainable community buildings and green spaces.

The maximum grant for organisational/delivery costs is £3,000 and the maximum for building improvement projects is £8,000.
Applicants must have an endorsement from an East Herts councillor, who represents the area where most of the beneficiaries are from.

The deadline for applications is January 4 2021 and a decision will be provided within 10 weeks.

Suzanne Rutland-Barsby, executive member for communities, said: “In these challenging times I’m delighted that we’re able to offer grants of up to £8,000 for worthwhile projects that will benefit lots of people, especially the more vulnerable on our community.

“There are also funds available of up to £300 for fledgling projects to assist your local community – please contact your local councillor for assistance with applying.”

You can find out more and apply online