All governments whether national, regional or local have a duty to limit the negative impacts of climate change and need to commit to aggressive reduction targets and carbon neutrality as quickly as possible. East Herts District Council has a pivotal role to play in tackling climate change and enabling sustainable living.
We recognise the importance of tackling climate change both in the terms of reducing greenhouse gas emissions to minimise future global climate change and planning for the unavoidable local impacts of climate change.
Therefore, East Herts District Council has committed to:-
1) Join with other councils in recognising and declaring formally the necessity to do everything within the authority's power to reduce its impact on the climate and moreover do everything we can in supporting the whole of East Herts District to become carbon neutral by 2030,
2) Develop an ambitious sustainability strategy for reducing the council's own emissions, with an objective that the council becomes carbon neutral by 2030,
3) Work with national and regional partners to ensure that where at all possible we support climate friendly planning and building control regulations and seek where possible to include the very best measures into the Local Plan to minimise any negative impact on the environment,
4) Call on National Government for more powers and resources to make this pledge possible, and ask the council's Leader to write to the Secretary of state for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs to this effect,
5) Continue to work with partners across the district, county and region to deliver this new goal, through all relevant strategies and plans,
6) Take account of climate impacts within existing decision-making processes,
7) Set up an Environmental and Climate Forum, in line with the recommendations from the Task and Finish Group, which were approved by this Council on 5th March, 2019,
8) The Environmental Forum to monitor progress regularly, and to report back,
9) Commit to making available the appropriate training to members and officers to promote carbon neutral policies in order to achieve these aims.