In this Technical Officer role, you will be providing professional and technical advice to businesses and colleagues in areas associated with food, health & safety, water quality, mobile homes, infectious disease control and environmental health licensing.
You will be experienced within these Environmental Health areas of work and have a relevant degree (or equivalent) and be EHRB registered. You will also have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to give clear advice and support to colleagues and members of the public.
The Environmental Health team is one of four services under the Head of Housing and Health. The team is diverse and made up of friendly, new and experienced officers, who all have a “can-do” attitude. We are based at our leafy Hertford offices, overlooking the bowls green and we are a short walk from Hertford town centre and two train stations which serve London.
Environmental Health and the Council have a good history of investing time and money in our team members, whether it is by sponsoring a student through their university degree or equipping them with the skills and experience needed to successfully apply for more senior jobs.
East Herts is consistently rated as amongst the best areas in the country to live, with excellent schools and healthcare, a huge array of green space, beautiful waterways, unique market towns and picturesque villages. We also enjoy high levels of employment and a diverse local economy.
The vision of the Council is to provide East Hertfordshire residents and businesses with a future that is prosperous and sustainable. In order to achieve this, a number of strategic objectives have been developed, which allow the Council in conjunction with its many partners to focus on the key issues that concern the residents of East Hertfordshire.
Whatever their role, everyone contributes to delivering great services to our local community. Our vision is to preserve the unique character of East Herts and ensure it remains one of the best places to live and work. To accomplish this, our focus is to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities, enhance the quality of people's lives and enable a flourishing local economy.
Our team is at the very heart of our council – by demonstrating our corporate values of ‘Here to Help’, ‘We work together’ and ‘We aim high’ we make a real difference to our local communities. We are dedicated to staff development and individual success within a team framework. To help our staff deliver, we provide a supportive work environment, development opportunities and work to help everyone achieve their potential, whilst enjoying a positive work-life balance.
Benefits of working for us
- A variety of flexible working options available, including part-time working, job share, compressed hours and home working.
- Flexi-time scheme.
- Local Government pension scheme, including death in service benefit.
- Generous annual leave – 25-28 days plus 5 additional days after 5 years’ local government service.
- Discounts at top high street retailers, including interest-free repayment through salary for tech such as tablets, laptops and mobile phones.
- Professional environment where your career path really matters and your development is supported by the council through a combination of corporate training courses, e-learning packages and sponsorship for professional qualifications.
- Excellent wellness programme including a free and confidential employee assistance programme; a dedicated wellbeing centre providing education, support and tools for employees e.g. to improve financial wellbeing; Wellness sessions on e.g. mindfulness, reflexology; Mental health first aid support; Discounts at gyms, Health screening, Flu shots, Volunteer time, and a Buddy programme
- Staff forum, staff suggestion scheme and a monthly staff recognition award.
- A dynamic, positive, friendly and supportive working culture. Open communications between staff and managers at all levels, and between services and teams.
As part of our Green Travel agenda we actively encourage employees to explore more economical and eco-friendly means of travel to work, e.g. public transport, cycle, walk or car share, and support this through a number of initiatives such as Liftshare. Employees can take advantage of the cycle to work (salary sacrifice) scheme and we also have pool e-cars available for employees to use for business travel.
How to apply
For a confidential and informal discussion about this role, please contact Alimat Adenekan on 01992 531469 or email@example.com
Closing date: 1 September 2020 at 9am
Interviews will be held in week commencing 7th September 2020
Please send completed application forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, religious belief age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity