An opportunity for an experienced Senior Technical Officer has become available to work at East Herts Council as part of the Environmental Health team.
About the role
An opportunity for an experienced Senior Technical Officer has become available to work at East Herts Council as part of the Environmental Health team. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career as we work towards a safe and healthy environment for the residents, workers and visitors of East Herts.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for housing. If successful you will work across all aspects of housing standards, HMO’s, public and nuisance related to housing for the service as well as using your experience to provide specialist technical advice and support to colleagues in relation to the ‘residential’ areas of Environmental Health.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
• support the development and implementation of intelligence lead investigations of properties/landlords and to ensure appropriate enforcement as necessary
• working with other members of the team to ensure we meet our performance targets including the roll out of a risk based HMO inspection programme
• taking your own case load as well as supporting other team members to resolve complex cases and taking a lead on enforcement where necessary
• collaborating with colleagues throughout the council to deliver a high standard of service
• providing information to customers with housing standards and related enquiries
This role will suit an enthusiastic team player with a can-do attitude who enjoys working in a collaborative environment supporting both customers and colleagues.
The ideal candidate will have:
• a recognised qualification in building construction and an excellent working knowledge of the relevant legislation and regulations relating to environmental health housing cases
• significant experience in Environmental Health and the housing area including enforcement
• a desire to support our landlords where possible and to drive up the housing standards for our residents
• the ability to deal with challenging situations using tact and diplomacy
• curiosity together with good investigative skills help identify housing cases and resolve them
• good organisational skills and self-management
• excellent written skills able to summarise accurately and convey complex information clearly for a range of recipients
• the ability to motivate and develop people around them
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Jane O’Brien, Senior Officer – Environmental Health (Residential) on 01992 531494.
To apply for this role please click on the application form at the top right hand side of this page.
Closing date: 7th December 2020 at 12 noon.
Interviews will be held on: 11th December 2020.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, religious belief age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity