We are looking for an experienced individual to lead a major town centre regeneration scheme in the market town of Bishop’s Stortford. This £75m mixed development will consist of a brand new arts centre, multi-story car park, residential, commercial and public realm. As owners of the site, this programme of works is East Herts Council’s anchor scheme for place making and will be of paramount importance in ensuring the town centre remains vibrant and relevant as a retail, social and leisure destination in the context of housing and population grown.
If successful you will be responsible for project managing delivery of the scheme and working in collaboration with various stakeholders to ensure it is delivered on time and within budget whilst meeting the vision set out by East Herts Council. Some of the key responsibilities include:
- Negotiation with development partners and stakeholders to agree a vision, masterplan and specification for the site which is commercially viable
- Appointment, contract management and negotiation of development agreement with delivery partners
- Managing interfaces and dependencies between the different strands
This role will suit a focused, enthusiastic programme manager who enjoys a challenge and is capable of delivering outcomes in a multi-agency context. The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience/ demonstrable track record as a project or programme manager with responsibility for large capital projects
- A Degree or equivalent in relevant field such as Surveying/Planning/Urban Regeneration/ Economic Development
- Thorough understanding of relevant planning and construction industry legislation (including statutory instruments)
- Professional Qualification/Chartered relevant to the service area (RIBA, RICS, CIOB, ACE, RTPI etc.) or substantial relevant experience in this field
East Herts is consistently rated as amongst the best areas in the country to live, with excellent schools and healthcare, a huge array of green space, beautiful waterways, unique market towns and picturesque villages. We also enjoy high levels of employment and a diverse local economy.
The vision of the Council is to provide East Hertfordshire residents and businesses with a future that is prosperous and sustainable. In order to achieve this, a number of strategic objectives have been developed, which allow the Council in conjunction with its many partners to focus on the key issues that concern the residents of East Hertfordshire.
Whatever their role, everyone contributes to delivering great services to our local community. Our vision is to preserve the unique character of East Herts and ensure it remains one of the best places to live and work. To accomplish this, our focus is to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities, enhance the quality of people's lives and enable a flourishing local economy.
Our team is at the very heart of our council – by demonstrating our corporate values of ‘Here to Help’, ‘We work together’ and ‘We aim high’ we make a real difference to our local communities. We are dedicated to staff development and individual success within a team framework. To help our staff deliver, we provide a supportive work environment, development opportunities and work to help everyone achieve their potential, whilst enjoying a positive work-life balance.
Benefits of working for us
- A variety of flexible working options available, including part-time working, job share, compressed hours and home working.
- Flexi-time scheme.
- Local Government pension scheme, including death in service benefit.
- Generous annual leave – 25-28 days plus 5 additional days after 5 years’ local government service.
- Discounts at top high street retailers, including interest-free repayment through salary for tech such as tablets, laptops and mobile phones.
- Professional environment where your career path really matters and your development is supported by the council through a combination of corporate training courses, e-learning packages and sponsorship for professional qualifications.
- Excellent wellness programme including a free and confidential employee assistance programme; a dedicated wellbeing centre providing education, support and tools for employees e.g. to improve financial wellbeing; Wellness sessions on e.g. mindfulness, reflexology; Mental health first aid support; Discounts at gyms, Health screening, Flu shots, Volunteer time, and a Buddy programme
- Staff forum, staff suggestion scheme and a monthly staff recognition award.
- A dynamic, positive, friendly and supportive working culture. Open communications between staff and managers at all levels, and between services and teams.
As part of our Green Travel agenda we actively encourage employees to explore more economical and eco-friendly means of travel to work, e.g. public transport, cycle, walk or car share, and support this through a number of initiatives such as Liftshare. Employees can take advantage of the cycle to work (salary sacrifice) scheme and we also have pool e-cars available for employees to use for business travel.
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Benjamin Wood, Head of Communications, Strategy and Policy on 07519 293733 or Tamara Jarvis, Improvement and Insight Manager on 01279 502240.
Closing date: 5 April 2020 at midnight. CVs will not be accepted.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, religious belief age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity