An opportunity for a Technical Officer has become available to work at East Herts Council as part of the Environmental Health team. Grade 7, £31,077 to £34,408 per annum (inclusive of local weighting), permanent, full time 37 hours per week. Closing date: Monday 4 January 2021 at 5pm.
About the role of Technical Officer
Job Title (when hired) – Technical Officer (Commercial)
An opportunity for a Technical Officer has become available to work at East Herts Council as part of the Environmental Health team. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career as we work towards a safe and healthy environment for the residents, workers and visitors of East Herts.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for food safety, health & safety, and animal licensing. If successful you will support the effective delivery of the Environmental Health team’s functions by using professional skills and knowledge to identify, investigate, analyse, evaluate and advise on issues and solutions relating to the ‘commercial’ areas of environmental health.
Some of the key responsibilities of the Technical Officer role include:
• providing professional and technical advice to businesses and colleagues in areas associated with food, health & safety, water quality, mobile homes, infectious disease control and environmental health licensing including animal licensing
• carrying out a range of proactive inspections and investigations
• responding to requests for service in respect of the ‘commercial’ areas of Environmental Health within target times
• taking appropriate enforcement action and supporting legal proceedings as necessary
• actively support the environmental health work associated with festivals and large events including working with partner organisations and representing the team and collaborating with colleagues throughout the council to deliver a high standard of service
This role will suit an enthusiastic team player with a can-do attitude who enjoys working in a collaborative environment supporting both customers and colleagues.
The ideal candidate will have:
• relevant qualifications and be EHRB registered with the competence to carry out the functions of the role
• keenness to adapt and develop new ideas and initiatives to meet changing work requirements
• the ability to deal with enquiries calmly, and with tact and discretion especially when faced with aggressive or difficult customers
• investigative and analytical skills for dealing with customer complaints and analysing complex data
• good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise your own workload and meet deadlines
• excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to give clear advice and support to colleagues and members of the public
• the ability to work as a team player to deliver the outcomes needed by our customers and the council
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact either:
• Alimat Adenekan, Senior Environmental Health Officer (Commercial) on 01992 531469.
• Catherine Blackett, Senior Technical Officer (Commercial) on 01992 531486
To apply for this role please click on the application form at the top right hand side of this page.
Closing date: 26th January 2021 at 12 noon.
Interviews will be held on: Week commencing 8th February 2021
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, religious belief age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity