An opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated individual to join the Council’s high performing Electoral Service team. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career working within a diverse political Council with Members of all major parties. The team is at the forefront of all elections in the District.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for being part of the political process . If successful, you will assist across all aspects of electoral services and co-supervise two members of staff under the guidance or absence of the Electoral Services Manager. The successful candidate will be required to work full time (37 hours per week) for a six week period over the elections eg EU Referendum, snap General Elections etc
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- To act as deputy to the Electoral Services Manager
- Provide administrative and technical support in the conduct of elections, referendums, statutory ballots and other polls, maintaining the staff database, encouraging new entrants and assisting with the distribution of statutory election notices
- Assist with bi-annual statutory reviews of polling places by assessing the suitability of buildings for use as polling stations in accordance with Electoral Commission guidelines
- Utilise knowledge of electoral registration law to process all categories of individual electoral registration applications in accordance with strict deadlines- considering statutory information required to constitute a complete application and entitlement to register (age, nationality, leave to remain)
- Ability to undertaken local data matching, request evidence and handle sensitive information
- Assist in conducting the annual canvass of all households in accordance with statutory regulations
This role will suit a detailed, focused, enthusiastic team player who enjoys a customer facing environment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Good understanding of Electoral registration and management software
- Experience of working in an electoral services environment
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to new procedures
East Herts is consistently rated as amongst the best areas in the country to live, with excellent schools and healthcare, a huge array of green space, beautiful waterways, unique market towns and picturesque villages. We also enjoy high levels of employment and a diverse local economy.
The vision of the Council is to provide East Hertfordshire residents and businesses with a future that is prosperous and sustainable. In order to achieve this, a number of strategic objectives have been developed, which allow the Council in conjunction with its many partners to focus on the key issues that concern the residents of East Hertfordshire.
Whatever their role, everyone contributes to delivering great services to our local community. Our vision is to preserve the unique character of East Herts and ensure it remains one of the best places to live and work. To accomplish this, our focus is to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities, enhance the quality of people's lives and enable a flourishing local economy.
Our team is at the very heart of our council – we recognise that together with our elected members, we make the difference to our local communities. We are dedicated to staff development and individual success within a team framework. To help our staff deliver, we provide a supportive work environment, development opportunities and work to help everyone achieve their potential, whilst enjoying a positive work-life balance.
Benefits of working for us
- A variety of flexible working options available, including part-time working, job share, compressed hours and home working
- Flexi-time scheme
- Free tea and coffee
- Local Government pension scheme
- Generous annual leave
- A range of discounts including high street retailers and local leisure centres
- Professional environment where your career path really matters and your development is supported by the organisation
- Flexible and supportive team
As part of our Green Travel agenda we actively encourage employees to explore more economical and eco-friendly means of travel to work, e.g. public transport, cycle, walk or car share, and support this through a number of initiatives such as Liftshare.
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Alison Stuart, Head of Legal and Democratic Services on 01279 502170.
Closing date: Monday 11th November at 5pm CVs will not be accepted.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, religion marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity