Council Tax, Benefits and Coronavirus

If you are affected by coronavirus and have difficulty in paying then please talk to us.

If your financial circumstances are affected by the impact of Coronavirus and you have difficulty in making your payments due to reduced income or loss / changes in your employment, and you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and your circumstances have changed you should contact the council’s benefits service. Please email or call us on 01279 655261. and select Council Tax option. At this difficult time there are different options available which may be able to offer you some additional support.

Test and Trace Support Payment

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period. More information, including how to apply is available on our Test and Trace Support Payment page.

Universal Credit

If you currently do not claim benefit and you find yourself with reduced income due to loss or changes in your employment you may be entitled to claim Universal Credit. Information on how to Claim Universal Credit is available on the website or call 0800 328 5644.

Council Tax Support

If you currently do not claim you may be entitled to claim Council Tax Support. More information, including an online calculator is available on our Council Tax Support page.

Coronavirus - Hardship Fund

The Government has made new funding available to council’s to help provide support to economically vulnerable people and households in their local area.

If you currently receive Local Council Tax Support as at 01 April 2020, you will automatically have up to £150 reduction applied to your 2020/21 council tax bill, or if your bill is less than £150 then it will be reduced to zero.

You do not need to apply for this it will be done automatically. We will send you a new bill once the reduction has been applied.