Large Grants Guidelines and Application
Before you begin please read all the guidelines. The form must be completed in one go and cannot be saved so please make sure you have all the relevant information. Please read the guidelines and how to apply for advice on how to prepare and the supporting evidence you will need before you start.
You will need to prepare the following prior to starting your application:
- Read the Council's Discretionary Community Grants Policy before you start completing the application. We recommend also having this open while filling out your application as you will need to refer to it
- Have to hand the details of any other grant making organisations that you have contacted (if applicable)
- Make a note of your charity commission number if you are a registered charity
- It may be useful to use the Large Grant Application PDF attachment to view questions and prepare your answers before completing your application online.
- Prepare your supporting documents in advance so you can easily attach them to your application. These can be viewed in 'how to apply'
- All requests for a grant must be made on the official grants application form. The form should be completed by the person or group requesting the grant.
- All applications must be accompanied by an endorsement (a written statement of support) by an East Herts District Councillor who represents the area from which most of your beneficiaries, members, clients come. You can identify who your local East Herts Councillor is by clicking on the following link Find Your Councillor
You are advised to
- discuss your idea with the Council's Grants Officer, before submitting an application. Contact details are: Claire.Pullen@eastherts.gov.uk or 01992 531459.
- Attend an online Grants information and Advice workshop on 8 November at 7pm. The workshop will be held on Zoom and is intended to help you submit a competitive bid. Joining details are as follows:
- Monday 8 November 11am - ID: 86305001303 Password: 993397
- Wednesday 10 November 7pm - ID 82613446283 Password: 863518
- Speak to an East Herts Councillor who represents the area where most of your beneficiaries will come from and ask them to endorse your project. He or she must provide you with a written statement of support which must be attached as a supporting document to your application.
- Complete the Large Grants application and submit by the deadline. This is available as an online form or as a PDF document.
- East Herts Councillor endorsement
- Safeguarding policy (if your organisation works with children or vulnerable adults)
- Health and Safety policy (if you are proposing an event)
- Evidence of planning permission (if applicable)
- Bank statement showing current balance
- Evidence that owner of building or space has approved the building work
- Constitution/set of rules
- Two estimates or quotes for building works. Two quotes are required for each large item of equipment over £1000
- Evidence that you have checked that planning permission from the council is not required (if you are proposing a building improvement project)
- Any other documents to support application
Hints and Tips
Tell us as much as you can about you/your group, and your idea. A well evidenced application will allow us to make an informed decision and provide us with an understanding of what you'd like to achieve.
Your application should include:
- Why you want to undertake the activity/project
- what and who it will involve
- What difference will it make
- How you plan to raise the balance of the funds required if you need more than the large grant amount
- Your experience in organising activities or projects in the community
- A decision on your application will be provided 8 to 10 weeks after the January 2022 deadline.
- A full breakdown of the costs will be required.
- Grants will be paid up front subject to receiving evidence that the project is going ahead as agreed.