Jubilee Celebrations in East Herts
Why not make the most of the bank holiday weekend from Thursday 2 to Sunday 5 June and get your community together to celebrate the historic milestone in the form of a street party.
If you need to close the road for your event you will need to ask us first – please visit our Safety Advisory Group page for more details.
Learn more about planning your street party:
We have put together some handy hints and tips to help manage waste from street parties and other celebrations you might be planning:
- Avoid disposable plates, cutlery and table covers. Even compostable alternatives are waste. Why not use reusuable items or ask your guests to bring their own?
- Set up a recycling area and make sure waste ends up in the right place - it also helps with the tidying up!
- Squash cans, plastic bottles, cardboard boxes and tins so that you can fit more into your recycling bins and prevent them overflowing.
- Don't put all the food out at once - this way you won't open packets or put food out that doesn't get eaten and ends up going to waste.
- Encourage guests to take left over food home with them so that your efforts to prepare the food don't go to waste.
- Donate any unopened or unwanted food items to your local food bank.
- If you are heading to one of our glorious parks and open spaces please take your litter home.
- It's always tempting to buy new but why not consider making home-made bunting, paper garlands and glass jar candles that can all be reused. Balloons can only be used once and if they pop become litter.