Brown Bin Collections
Brown bin collections for garden and food waste will start again from Monday 11 May
More information is available on our Coronavirus and Bin Collections page.
The brown bin is for:
- Food waste
- Garden waste
East Herts Council provides the majority of households in the district with one brown bin.
Please do not overfill your brown bin. If it is too heavy it may not be collected as our vehicles have weight restrictions.
We can also provide a green kitchen caddy to help you collect the food waste, before transferring it to the brown bin.
If you do not have a kitchen caddy, and would like one please request one using our New or Replacement online form.
You can use a caddy liner in your kitchen caddy provided it features the seedling logo. Bags without this logo should not be used and will prevent your brown bin from being emptied.
Caddy Liners - Suppliers
Compostable caddy liners are available online from:
Alternatively, most supermarkets in East Herts and many local stores (including those listed below) stock the compostable liners, but remember to look for the seedling logo!
- Coopers of Stortford - 11 Bridge Street, Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, CM23 2JU
- Cromwell Community Stores - 113-123 Cromwell Rd, Ware, SG12 7LD
- Datchworth Village Store - 2 Datchworth Green, Knebworth, SG3 6TL
- Gravelle's Budgens - London Road, Sawbridgeworth, CM21 9JS
- Londis (Much Hadham) - High Street, Much Hadham, Herts , SG10 6DE
- Walkern Stores - 79 High Street, Walkern, Stevenage, Herts, SG2 7NT
- Westwoods Convenience Stores - 2 High St, Ware, SG11 1LA
You can recycle your kitchen and garden waste at home and make rich compost to help your garden bloom, visit Get Composting or call 0844 571 4444 for more information and discounted offers.
If you have any queries please use our contact us page or call 01279 655261 ext: 7140 / option 4.
If your brown bin contains items which are not acceptable it will NOT be emptied as this is considered contamination. You must remove the contamination and the crew will collect it on your next scheduled collection date. We will not return for contaminated bins.
Please Note: Cardboard is not accepted in the brown bin, and will be considered contamination if it is put in there. Please place it in your blue lidded recycling bin.