Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Winter Fuel Payments

If you are aged 60 or over, you may get a Winter Fuel Payment to help pay for the cost of keeping warm in winter. This can be between £100 and £300 depending on your age and situation.

Are you eligible?

You may get a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2017/18 if both the following apply:

  • you were born on or before 5 May 1953
  • you lived in Great Britain or Northern Ireland throughout the week 19 to 25 September 2016 (although there are some exceptions)

How to get your Winter Fuel Payment

Most payments are made automatically if:  

  • you got a Winter Fuel Payment last winter and you still meet the conditions for getting it
  • you got State Pension or another benefit except Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Child  Benefit during the qualifying period

Your partner will get the Winter Fuel payment if they receive any of the following benefits:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)

Don't get any of the above but think you still qualify?

You can apply if the benefits below are the only ones you receive:

  • Housing Benefits
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Child Benefit

You can't apply if you:

  • Claim benefits
  • Get State Pension

To Apply

Call the Winter Fuel Payment Helpline on 03459 151515 or get a claim form online.  Your claim must be received by 31 March 2018 for any payment to be made.

For full information see  Winter Fuel Payments - website which includes application forms.


How would you rate the information on this page?

Rate as GoodRate as AverageRate as Poor