Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Licensing Act 2003

Under the Licensing Act 2003, any premises or place where licensable activities will take place will need to be covered by a licence or notice. Licence holders will be responsible for the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm.

The following activities are required to be licensed:

  1. The sale of alcohol.
  2. The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to, or to the order of, a member of the club.
  3. The provision of regulated entertainment.
  4. Late night refreshment (the provision of hot food and drink between 11pm and 5am).


  • Personal Licence to Sell Alcohol allows the holder to sell alcohol at venues covered by a "premises licence"
  • Premises Licence & Club Premises Certificates will be required by anyone wanting to allow certain licensable activities to take place such as sale of alcohol, music, dancing, indoor sports events, theatre, cinema and sale of food between the hours of 11.00pm and 5.00am. Applicants will need to demonstrate what they will do to prevent public nuisance, prevent crime and disorder, ensure public safety and protect children from harm.
  • Temporary Event Notices (TEN) can be used instead of a licence for regulated activities (supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment, and late night refreshment) at small-scale event of not more than 499 people, and lasting less than 168 hours.