Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Benefits for Students

If you're a full-time student, you may be exempt from Council Tax if you're the liable person and in certain circumstances you may also be eligible for Housing Benefit.

In order to apply for a Council Tax exemption you will need to complete our Student Discount Application form [152KB] .

Full time students can claim Second Adult Rebate if they live in a property with somebody who is liable for Council Tax.

Housing Benefit

The following full time students are also eligible for Housing Benefit:

  • Students receiving Income Support or income based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Pensioners (men or women aged 60 or more)
  • Lone parents
  • The disabled
  • Student couples with children
  • Students responsible for children boarded at/by a local authority or voluntary organisation.
  • Students under 19 in further education.

To apply for Housing Benefit, please complete our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Claim form [655KB]