Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Private Sector Housing

We can help with Conditions in rented housing, HMOs: Houses in Multiple Occupation, Empty properties, Housing grants, Home energy efficiency and Harassment or illegal eviction.

Poor Conditions in Private Rented Housing

If you rent your home and it is in poor condition, you should always speak to and write to your landlord first to try to sort out any problems. If your landlord does not agree to do the repairs, you can contact the council with details of the problem.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

HMOs are defined in section 254 of the Housing Act 2004, as a house or flat let to 3 or more tenants, who form 2 or more households, and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet.

Housing Health & Safety Rating System

The property you rent must meet the required standard for tenants with regards to health, safety and welfare. Housing conditions are assessed under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).