- Three new cinema screens, which will allow for screenings of newly released films
- More seating in the main auditorium and a new 150-seat studio
- A riverside café-bar for theatre and castle park visitors
- A relaxed, open public plaza-style setting
- Additional space for community hire
- Uncovering the 12th century motte at the back of the theatre which people can reach directly from The Wash, creating an exciting link between the theatre, Castle Gardens and the castle
- Improved access to all areas of the building so that artists can better reach the stage, backstage and the dressing rooms
The Hertford Theatre development is a discrete project being funded in full by Public Works Loan Board lending, which will in turn, be repaid in full over a 30 year period. On opening, the new Hertford Theatre will become self-sustaining. Not only will it provide a legacy income for the Council but it will contribute positively to the wider day and night time Hertford economy.
Update February 26 2020
As part of our development plans for the Hertford Theatre expansion project, one of the contractors working on the Hertford Theatre expansion project will be undertaking a condition survey of the river bank and a second survey around the theatre.
The work is pencilled in to start in w/c 02 March and finish on 10 March.
Notices will be posted in the area around the weir and walkway from the car park to the Wash explaining that people will be working in the area. The neighbours opposite will also be notified. Activity will be minimal on the path itself, so this is a low health and safety risk.
The area will be fenced off around the work and will be reinstated on completion. These works will inform our planning application later this year.