- Three new cinema screens, which will allow for screenings of newly released films
- More seating in the main auditorium and a new 150-seat studio
- A riverside café-bar for theatre and castle park visitors
- A relaxed, open public plaza-style setting
- Additional space for community hire
- Uncovering the 12th century motte at the back of the theatre which people can reach directly from The Wash, creating an exciting link between the theatre, Castle Gardens and the castle
- Improved access to all areas of the building so that artists can better reach the stage, backstage and the dressing rooms
The Hertford Theatre development is a discrete project being funded in full by Public Works Loan Board lending, which will in turn, be repaid in full over a 30 year period. On opening, the new Hertford Theatre will become self-sustaining. Not only will it provide a legacy income for the Council but it will contribute positively to the wider day and night time Hertford economy.